The coat of arms of Ghana pictured here was introduced on 4 March 1957 by Elizabeth II. It shows a blue shield, which is divided into four parts by a St George’s Cross with a golden edge. In the middle of the cross there is the golden lion of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. This symbolizes the close relationship of Ghana to the Commonwealth and the Kingdom. The first part, on the upper left shows a sword, known as a okyeame, which is used at ceremonies. It is a symbol for the regional governments of Ghana, while the area to the right, which shows a representation of a castle on the sea, the presidential palace in Accra on the Gulf of Guinea, symbolizes the national government. The third part of the shield shows a cacao tree, which embodies the agricultural wealth of Ghana. The fourth and last field – on the lower right – shows a gold mine, which stands for the richness of natural resources in Ghana. Upon the shield there are beads with the national colors red, green, and gold, which the flag of Ghana also bears. Above that, there is a black five-pointed star with a golden border, symbol for the freedom of Africa. Holding the coat of arms are two golden eagles, which have black stars on a band of the national colors hanging around the neck. They are perched on a motto ribbon, which bears the national motto of Ghana: Freedom and Justice.