Ridge Royal Hotel is a stunning edifice perched atop a hill in the heart of Cape Coast. The hotel is large and expansive with a winding road leading up to its entrance. Ridge Royal Hotel is located opposite the second gate of Mfantsipim School. Hence it’s a popular choice during secondary school and university speech day and graduation events.
Ridge Royal Hotel has a 24 hour front desk, free parking, free wi-fi, a swimming pool, and a professionally staffed fitness center. Each room is fitted with a television with a DSTV bouquet, a fridge and a safe.
My favorite parts:
- The ambience and views: Your first sight of the hotel lobby will literally take your breath away. The high ceilings, tasteful furnishings, and unhindered view of the landscape below is post-card worthy. Ridge Royal Hotel’s lobby is one of those hotel lobbies that is just as popular with non-hotel guests as it is with guests. The vaulted ceilings are a feature of the entire hotel. Thanks to my room’s high ceiling, it was bursting with natural light and staying in it made me feel regal.
- The customer service: Every staff member I interacted with – from the front desk team to the waiters, porters, and gardeners – had a quick smile and was kind and helpful. This made me feel very welcome and well-cared for.
- The grounds: Ridge Royal Hotel is green, green, green. The hotel’s grounds are full of vibrant green trees. Hence, the hotel has a serene, quiet and relaxing atmosphere even though it’s near a busy road.
Things I would like to see improved on my next visit:
- Taste and variety of the food: The hotel’s restaurant menu was surprisingly sparse and uninspired and the food was bland. Since we were so close to the sea, I was expecting to be able to select from a wide array of fresh fish options. However, there were more chicken than fish items on the menu. Additionally, the two meals I had – fried rice and chicken nuggets and potato chips and kebabs – were forgettable.
- Speed of service: Although the staff were kind and helpful, routine requests were never routine. For instance, it took over an hour to get an extra blanket or a visit from maintenance to ensure that my air conditioning unit was in proper working order. To be fair, the hotel was filled to capacity during my visit, but I expected much better service.
- Wi-fi speed and reliability: The entire hotel uses one Wi-fi network, and it showed. The wi-fi disconnected frequently, and streaming short videos was almost impossible. Again, the hotel was filled to capacity during my visit, but I expected much better wi-fi.
Ridge Royal Hotel Top Tips
- Book in advance! If there’s any event in Cape Coast, Ridge Royal Hotel will be fully booked weeks in advance
- Try to snag a standard room on the ground floor. Because they are close to the pool and fitness center. Furthermore, each room has a private little outdoor balcony that’s great for eating, meditating, or just enjoying the breeze.
My weekend at Ridge Royal Hotel was absolutely delightful, and I can’t wait to return to Cape Coast!