Are you Team Fufu, Banku, Jollof, or Waakye? One of the best things about being in Ghana is certainly our delicious local cuisine. There’s a reason sampling the local cuisine is one of our top things to do in Ghana. No matter your favorite local dish, there’s certainly a local food joint for you. Here are our top 5 local food joints in Accra:
Best Local Food Joints in Accra
- Mangoase: Mangoase is the place to be in East Legon over the weekends. Its spacious outdoor set up and TV screens make it comfortable enough for you to spend more than a few hours there feasting on banku and tilapia, fufu and soup, and other local dishes. Too lazy to leave your house for your local food fixing? Call to have your food delivered. Contact: +233 54 397 7846 | +233 55 500 8815
- Asanka Local: Asanka Local is unique for its large, boarding school-like space. However, the food tastes nothing like boarding school fare (thankfully!) Asanka Local sells a very wide variety of tasty, affordable food in healthy portions. Asanka Local is definitely the place to go if you’re hungry and on a budget. Contact: +233 20 434 6232
- Azmera Restaurant: Azmera serves up what is certainly one of the best, if not the best, local food buffets in Accra. There is a very wide array of dishes available, so it’s perfect for sampling all local dishes under the sun. At 150 cedis per person, Azmera is not cheap, but the excellent taste and selection of the food make the price absolutely worth it. Contact: +233 30 277 0606
- Bush Kanteen: With a starting price of 30 cedis, Bush Kanteen’s fufu definitely does not come cheap. Again, in spite of the high ticket price, the fufu is worth it. Bush Kanteen’s fufu and soup is well known for delicious toppings such as grated ginger that perfectly complement the spiciness of the soup. If you’re looking to sample the best fufu in Accra, Bush Kanteen is your go-to local food joint. Contact: +233 20 816 6843
- The Buka Restaurant: Buka is a fairly high end restaurant serving tasty local dishes in Osu. Buka has a breezy open-air terrace that seats 75, and you can be sure every seat is filled at lunchtime on any day of the week. It’s especially popular during lunchtime, so be sure Contact: +233 24 484 2464
Have you had the pleasure of eating at any of these local food joints? Which is your favorite?